Friday 29 August 2008

Damascus 20/08/08

The heat ensures I'm not getting much of a sleep in, by 8am it must already be over thirty! Once again setting myself up on the couch, with the computer and the Olympics I don't end up moving till lunchtime.

One of the problems with Syrian internet is the government has blocked any site which might entertain, educate or in any way be useful to anyone (slightly exaggerated ;) ), including my blog! But I do know of one internet cafe which gives almost unrestricted access. Catching a taxi down tot he old city I'm disappointed to find the software they use doesn't work on my Mac :( but oh well, I'm only here for another few days...

I still end up spending a good couple of hours playing around before heading back to the apartment. Adel is an occupational therapist working here with UNRWA and I manage to convince her I need a massage ;) Absolutely divine! Thanks heaps :)

I have many friends I'd like to catch up with in Damascus but I'm being incredibly lazy. And also, for some reason I'm not in a very sociable mood. It's great to be able to just sit and relax for a few days...

After a fabulous Dahl dinner Adel crashes out leaving Fay and I sitting on the balcony discussing world affairs. Being a journalist for Syria Today, the major English language publication in the area, she is well informed making for an interesting sparring partner.

Catching up on some last minute writing it's time for bed. Tomorrow I'll be walking once again...

No comments: