Thursday 7 August 2008

Latakya 31/07/08

I get a good sleep in this morning but the sound of the hotel owner yelling, which seems to be his preferred method of communication, wakes me from my slumber. Packing up all my stuff I grab my computer and head for breakfast.

I love Syria! An omelet, a plate of hommus, bread, pickles, two teas and a herb drink all for $3. Wonderful :)

Catching up on some writing I head to the net. Some friends from Aleppo are meant to be meeting me before 4pm to join me for the next couple of days walk. Two thirty I receive a message and one of them has food poisoning :( I then open a mail from Tomas, a Slovakian guy who is coming to walk with me, and he is in Alana heading this way...

The universe looks like it wants me to stay, so I return to the hotel and check back in. Muhammad offers to let me stay on the roof for free and locking my electronics in another room I take him up on his offer...

Lounging around chatting and writing it's an enjoyable afternoon. And after another quick stint on the net Max, Tanya (a German/Russian girl staying at the hotel) and I go for a beer.

The phone rings with Tomas on the other end...

"Hi, I'm in Latakya! I'm staying at the Harorm hotel. Can you come over and get me?"

"Yeah sure...I'll be right there"

The bar staff have never heard of the hotel so I head outside to try the taxi drivers. Still no luck...shit! :(

Checking my phone, the number he called from was withheld. Going back to the bar I wait for him to call back but after a few beers we all decide to head home. In one last attempt to locate him I go down to an internet cafe to see if he emailed but no luck, let's hope he calls in the morning...

No comments: