Thursday 9 August 2007

Pilgrimage from Casa Di Forno to Orbetello Scalo 05/08/07

I set my alarm early, but having drunk too much wine last night, I turned it off and went back to sleep.

When I woke again at 08:30 everyone was still sleeping, but I figured I better get going. Thanks again guys and I promise I will stay for breakfast next time ;)

After yesterday’s effort I decided not to risk the national park tracks. I walked back to the main road along the driveway. It was another great hike with awesome views, but I wasn’t feeling so good.

I stopped for breakfast at an “Agritourismo”, which is basically a farm that allows tourists to eat or stay. It was great! I had a big plate of proscutto, cheese, tomato and bread with homemade olive oil and balsamic vinegar. This made me feel a bit better.

But it didn’t last long. Another 3kms down the road and I had to stop for a sleep.

Luckily, when I arrived in Fonteblanda I found out I was 10kms closer to Rome than I had thought. This made up for my rest :) But it still meant that I was going to be pushing it if I wanted to make Orbetello before dark...

As it turned out, I made pretty good time for the last 20kms and reached the lake next to Orbetello Scalo just in time for sunset. It was beautiful…

I figured it wasn’t worth walking the extra 3kms to Orbetello proper if it was going to be dark when I got there, so I thought I would keep walking…if I could find my torch, or just stay here if I couldn’t. I searched my whole bag but with no success. My torch was lost, so having a quick look around in the twilight I found a spot to camp behind the church.

As I hopped into my sleeping bag, guess what I found…my torch! The inside of my sleeping bag must have been the only place I hadn’t checked. I had even checked inside the tent. Always the way!

No comments: