Monday 19 May 2008

Pilgrimage from Palio to Aspri Ammos 16/05/07

After all that ouzo last night we were never going to get an early start. We potter around, I try once more to fix my sleeping mat, all the while trying to put off the inevitable...

But finally around 11am we get into it. Kavala is only 14kms down the road and we want to catch the Post Office before it closes, have a rest, eat dinner and still make another 10kms on top. But we will have to see, it has the feel of a very lazy day today ;)

Sitting down to breakfast I make a shocking discovery. Yesterday Microsoft sent out an update for Office 2008 and after I installed it none of my Office programs open anymore :( What a fucker!!! I need to get to an internet cafe to see if I can fix it...


Clearing a small hill we stumble upon these three having a picnic. Sure enough, even though they can't speak any English or German they invite us to join them. We are already full from breakfast but they don't take "no" for an answer. Soon enough we are about to pop, full of delicious home-made spinach pie and meat balls :)


As we round the last headland and Kavala comes into sight we are amazed with it's size! We definitely weren't expecting a big city. The other amazing thing is the long, perfect white sandy beaches. I could be in Australia ;)

Finding an internet cafe I don't have any luck fixing my problem. The only advice I get is to reinstall all the programs...a lot of good that does me when my Office CD is in Holland :) Looks like I will have to make do without Word for a while...

Kavala is another super cool city. A great harbour, relaxed atmosphere, yet still bustling with life. We find the Post Office, eat dinner and on the way out of town are blown away with the old aquaducts leading out of the city. It reminds me of Istanbul!

Making it another 7kms we come to a junction. The turnoff on our map is 500m down the road, but it is quite busy and there is another small road (not on our map) leading around the headland which looks much nicer. We opt for the headland route knowing full well it could end in disaster...

It starts to get dark and the view back to Kavala is awesome. When the fireflies start lighting up the path in front of us we have the feeling of being in a fairytale..absolutely magic!!!

As we find a campsite I wonder to myself if the repair job on my mat will finally fix the problem. The ground is super hard so I hope so...

No comments: