Friday 25 July 2008

Pilgrimage from Iskenderun to Narduzu 22/07/08

Mehmut is meeting me at 10am to take ensure I don't get ripped off by the glasses guys, or more likely to ensure he gets his commission ;) so I get to sleep in. At 09:57 the phone rings and Ahmets waiting down stairs. Punctual! :)

Turns out they can't order me new lenses anyway. Let's see if I can get some kilometers in before lunch...

Mehmut joins me for a great walk along the waterfront and manages 3kms before leaving me to it. I love walking next to the coast! It's wonderful!!!

In the heat of the day I have to stop every kilometer or two for a drink. Seven kilometers from Iskenderun I come across a great little restaurant on the waterfront with some young guys sitting around drinking and decide this is where I'll wait out the heat. After a coffee, a swim and some writing they finally convince me to have a beer...

"Do you have backgammon?"

One of the guys looks up in excitement and the challenge is on. I don't know how it happened but the day just completely disappears. We must have played for hours and by the time we finish the score is 13-11 to him. Standing up I realize I'm completely plastered! :) Checking one of the beer cans, sure enough the beer is 7.5%! Always a good idea to check before starting to drink if you don't know the beer but I never seem to learn ;)

Oh well, hopefully I can walk it off...

I don't make it 50m before two guys at the next bar call me over for a chat. It doesn't take much to convince me to sit down for another beer, one more couldn't hurt...

Famous last words as the world gets very blurry from then on. I get moving after dark and don't even make a kilometer before I realize I need to sit down and sober up a bit. Laying back to look at the starts that's it! I'm out cold right there on the side of the road... :)

No comments: