Friday 29 June 2007

Pilgrimage from Mussy-S-Marne to Chaumont 25/06/07

I was awoken at 5am this morning by cars whizzing by about a feet away from my head. It appears that this small little road isn’t so quiet in the mornings. I also didn’t get much sleep as the trucks above make a real racket and I think someone had to change their tyre above me.

I got going around 05:30 and made it to the first town at 07:00. Just in time for the bar to open but surprise surprise, no food :( The bakery was also having a day off so I had to survive on a Snickers for breakfast.

It was still about 15kms to Chaumont, the next big town, so I was really hoping one of the towns in between would be able to supply me with some nourishment. I only ate a single kebab yesterday as well…

It was not looking good. I was still about 4kms out of Chaumont and I felt like I was going to pass out. My body was aching, I was tired, and I felt like I was about to throw up my only source of energy, the Snickers I ate for breakfast.

And then it started to rain. It pissed down! The only good thing about it was it took my mind off vomiting :) And then to really top it off, the last 1km into town was straight up hill!!!

So as you can imagine, by the time I got into town I was a wreck. The first place I spotted with food was a bakery and I went and stuffed myself. It was great!

The food warmed me up a bit, which was well needed as it was freezing! I wasn’t expecting it to get this cold here in the summer.

Then I went to town to try to find an internet café. The whole place was deserted! It didn’t take me long to realize that they had had a festival the night before. I asked one of the only shops that were open what was going on and the shop keeper explained that because of the big party last night most of the shops wouldn’t open.

After finding a hotel which was kind enough to let me use their internet I went to try to find Dan. There was a caravan park on the edge of town so I thought that would be a good place to start. It was a good guess. He was just setting up as I arrived.

Dan’s toe is rotting away because of spending too much time walking in the rain so he trained it the last 25kms. It’s not looking so good for him…

I figured because I hadn’t been eating much I should go and eat something nice. The staff at the hotel had been so friendly today I went back there for dinner. I had Salad, foie gras (naughty I know but God it tastes good :) ), fillet mignon, a cheese platter and of course chips. It was amazing.

I wasn’t so sure about camping earlier today as I thought it might rain again, but when I went back after dinner it was all blue sky. It looks like I made a good choice…

No comments: