Monday 16 July 2007

Pilgrimage from Aosta to St Vincent 14/07/07


You know when you have had too much red wine to drink when you can’t scrub the stain off your tongue. It was one of those mornings :(

I had wanted to get an early start to avoid the heat but it wasn’t to be. After stuffing around, eating my first gelato (which was AWSOME!!!), and finally getting a haircut, it was midday and 33° by the time I got going.

I had checked with the information center about walking tracks but they informed me the only way to go was along the road. It really wasn’t pleasant.

I stopped for lunch after a couple of hours and almost fell asleep. Tomorrow will have to be an early start.

Another hour on, I was getting too burnt so I parked up in a café to wait out the heat.

It was one of those days that was a struggle from start to finish. Walking on the road was shitting me, the heat was shitting me and everything else I could think of was shitting me…

However all ended well. The last 5kms were beautiful and when I arrived in town the parish took in pilgrims. Things were looking up :)

They fed me a great meal of rabbit stew, cheese and fruit salad. They were all extremely friendly but only one of them could speak English.

And to top it off I had a room all to myself with an ensuite. Thanks guys, you are great :)

No comments: